Cheers to April Snow new version in Japan !
Hello my Bae sisTomorrow September 9th, April Snow uncut version will be released in Japan. I wish lots of successes to the movie in Japan and hope they will release the movie on DVD with English subtitle too.
Now I would like to share some others French reviews I translate for you.
From Cluny - Note : 7,5/10
http://critiques.over-blog.com/article-2464356.html
Translated from French to English by camille
In two words: A man and a woman who did not know themselves meet at the bedside of their spouses victims of an accident, and discover that they were lovers. A chaste and subtle film about pain, culpability and attraction.
The director : Hur Jin-Ho was born in 1963 at Jeonju, in South Korea. Graduate from the Korean Academy of Film Arts, his first short movie “For Kochal” is selected in the Festival of Vancouver. His first feature film “Christmas In August” is presented in 1998 at the Week of Criticism in Cannes.
Reviews: In-Su is a lighting engineer for concert. One day, he receives a call: his wife has just had an accident and she is seriously wounded. When he arrives at the hospital, he also learns that she was in the same car with a man, in the coma. With the wife of this one, they get back their spouse’s stuffs and discover that they were lovers.
Neighbourhoods in a hotel in front of the hospital, they initially avoid each other, locked in their own pain. But when they must go to the funeral of a third victim of the accident, confronted with the violence of the blame, they are constrained to share this unbearable pain.
Trapped in a provincial town, divided between duty, resentment and sorrow, they come closer, rediscover the possibility of smiling even furtively, and end up loving each other. But what will become their love when the victims will wake up?
This topic was already treated in the recent cinema: in “Random Heart”, of Sidney Pollack, Kristin Scott-Thomas and Harrisson Ford suspect their spouses died in an air crash to have had an affair. And Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung in “In the Mood for Love” of Wong Kar Waï come closer after the discovery of their spouse’s affair.
But here, the particularity of the story lies in the “risk” to see the victims of the accident waking up from the coma : they did not die as in Pollack’s movie, but they are not either really alive, as in Wong Kar Waï’s. In-Su and Seo-Young must take care of their bodies, while waiting to be able to pour out their reproaches.
And at the time of a first meal at the restaurant, a little drunk, the shy Seo-Young says like a good joke “And if we sleep together, just for annoying them ? ”, and In-Su just laughs, a little embarrassed… However, morally free themselves from the duty of fidelity by the adultery which has brought them together, they have nevertheless to hide to live their love in a society locked by the social and family codes.
There are some lengths, especially at the two-thirds of the movie. But this languor is perhaps necessary to make us sharing the uncertainty of the situation of the two heroes, the repetition of these days in a bluish light, universal colour of the hospital.
The two actors are excellent : Bae Yong-jun, youthful and luminous, and Son Ye-Jin, with false airs of Zhang Ziyi, successively submissive and mischievous.
And then, what a renewed pleasure to see this Asian cinema, where we understand that the fixed plan is the base of the narration, especially when someone has something to tell, in contrary of these “parkinsonniens” cinemas (Camille : Parkinson disease, I think the author wanted to say that there are a lot of disorder movements) where the “virtuoso” whirlwind searches how to fill the emptiness !
From Doune’s blog, Tuesday May 23th 2006
http://maudoune.free.fr/dotclear/index.php?2006/05/23/270-doune-parfois-joue-les-madeleines
Translated from French to English by camille
Sometimes, Doune plays the madeleines….
Especially when she sees a beautiful movie which turns over her like a pancake…
It is about April Snow of Hur Jin-Ho. Well, yes, Doune rather has a highly sensitive sensibility, especially when it’s a love story (yes, well, I’m a girl and so what !). But, it is beautiful like cherry flower, very beautiful light, a lot of decency, silences which want to say everything and splendid actors, (moreover, the lead actor has the features so fine that I thought in the beginning that he was a woman… and then, he spoke and there… a sublime voice, a voice of storyteller…)
Camille : madeleine is a French cake, sorry, the author seems to like playing with typical French expressions and words that it’s hard to translate in English because there isn’t any equivalence.
Et pour finir, je ne peux pas résister de publier les 2 dernières photos de Yong Joon prises par Platonic à l'aéroport de Kimpo le 7 septembre, lors de son retour de l'île Jeju.
Ah ! regarde sa poitrine et ses longues jambes !
Chaque fois que je vois une nouvelle photo de lui, je le trouve encore plus beau qu'avant. Comment est-ce possible ?
Chaque fois que je vois une nouvelle photo de lui, je le trouve encore plus beau qu'avant. Comment est-ce possible ?



11 Comments:
hey camille!
i really like these two reviews! luminous... i've always liked that word... and truly, wuri yong joon is that.
and... hehe, yea, features so so so fine... and a voice so divine :p
thanks!
thanks camille for these reviews. yeah, agree with bb, love those choice of words 'youthful and luminous'!
Haha, Doune thought our prince was a woman because of his fine features? Funny I heard that many times before from my friends when they saw his pictures on my fridge. I told them he's just too beautiful, even more than a woman!
Hi bb
It's funny now I remember that the word luminous is often used in AS French reviews. And yeah, his voice is sublime !
You're right Jaime, for us he is too Baetiful, too sexy, too handsome, too gorgeous, ha ha too muchhhhh !
Chère Camille,
Que je suis d'accord avec Cluny à propos du cinéma parkinsonnien! Avez-vous vu le film américain "Moulin Rouge"? Le DVD contient plusieurs documentaires sur les détails de production où on s'est donné beaucoup de mal et on a investi becucoup d'argent sur l'esthétique du film. Malheureusement, tout cela est perdu dans "le tourbillon virtuose" du jeu des caméras. Cette erreur a été répétée dans plusieurs films depuis ce temps.
En ce qui a trait à la voix de BYJ, je continue en Anglais pour le bénéfice des bae-sis. At our house, the master of the tv remote (hubby) has been known to switch to the Cantonese dub in addition to English subtitles. I remember very clearly commenting to him, partway through WS, that it would be a sin not to hear the actual voices of the actors. One of these days, I hope to post on Quilt an anecdote about track 18 of the AS soundtrack and another one about how I went from being a WS-skeptic to a WS-convert, both relating to that melodious voice.
Chère Gosijo
Je n'ai pas vu "Moulin Rouge" mais c'est vrai qu'il y a pas mal de film ayant ce tourbillon virtuose.
And yes please Gosijo, I'm waiting for your next post on Quilt about that anecdote, I enjoy reading your post so much.
Chere Camille,
So happy to read this review. When I found the word 'luminous', I almost shed the tears.
Today (yesterday already?) I saw AS DC, he was indeed luminous. He never disappoints us.
The theatre was full, and since only two theatres in Japan are going to screen this moview, fans are makinf request for more theatres for screening.
I do hope DVD with English and even French subtitle will be released.
cloud nine
Dear Cloud nine
Thanks for dropping by. So you've seen AS DC ? Wow, I'm envious !
I'm very impatient to know a little more about this version and hope to see DVd with english subtitle soon.
Bonjour Camille,
Enjoyed these reviews, merci!
Yes, I saw the DC version, too.
But to be completely frank with you, I still like the original film.
BUT. But. but.
But he is SOOO pretty to look at,
and SOOO nice to listen to,
I can't say I was sorry to see the new version ...
I guess that's what being his "family" means.
Dear Flowerbossa
Thanks for sharing your feeling about the new version, I'm looking forward to to watch it.
Dear Flowerbossa
Thanks for sharing your feeling about AS new version, I'm very impatient to watch it.
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home